SVU COVID-19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS
This is NOT an exhaustive list of measures, and is also a work in progress as new information is made available regarding best practices in addressing COVID-19 safety.
SVU COVID-19 Safety protocols follow all guidance provided by the State of Virginia and the CDC. This includes safety measures related to the Facilities protocols, Practice format, and Match format, and Equipment management. In addition, we have put in place additional protocols for the very youngest age groups (u4-u6) to help facilitate compliance. The process is ongoing as we are all learning as we go. We continue to work on ways to make practice and matches feasible and enjoyable, while maintaining the safety standards. Please review the VYSA Phase 3 Guidelines, as well as the additional Practice and Match Format Modifications SVU put in place during our matches played at the end of July.
Virginia Youth Soccer Association (VYSA) Phase 3 Guidelines for Return to Play based on State of Virginia Guidelines/Requirements for Outdoor Recreational Sports Activities
SAFETY PROTOCOL - Instructions to Coaches - Masks, Distancing, Parents
- Coaches must wear MASKS. They should be on your face. Lowering the mask when you are 10ft away to breathe, cool off, or communicate is fine if necessary. The face mask must cover both mouth and nose when we are within 10 ft of players and others.
- DISTANCING within each Practice Activity is in EFFECT. Utilize the markings on the fields to enforce this with your players. Where coaches or mature players are utilized as defenders within an activity, they maintain distancing. 10 feet is not that great of a distance, and is significant pressure as compared to no pressure. We are NOT SCRIMMAGING in practice unless the game is modified significantly with firm instructions to the players that the game is a LOW PRESSURE GAME with 10ft spacing required (focus on reading the game and intercepting passes, as opposed to tackling to dispossess.
- PARENTS (SPECTATORS) must maintain distancing. Coaches need to keep parents outside of the perimeter of the field. Parents need to maintain social distancing just like everyone else. Parents/spectators must wear masks when in indoor facilities, and should be prepared to wear masks in outdoor facilities whenever within 6 ft of others.
Rules Modifications to Standard Match Formats and Safety Protocols for Matches
- Social Distancing for Players will be enforced by Coaches/Staff.
- We will not utilize Team Benches. Players and Coaches will have designating areas for their belongings.
- Traditional post-match Handshakes, High-Fives, Hugs, etc. will not be allowed.
- Teams will play without Goalkeepers. Instead, goals must be scored within a designated Shooting Zone. Shooting zone will be the final attacking quarter of the field.
- A Foul resulting in a Direct Kick within the Penalty Area (a Penalty) results in an Automatic Goal (rather than a penalty kick into an empty goal).
- The Option to Kick-In or Dribble-In will replace the Throw-In.
- In an effort to encourage expanded spacing between players in u5u6, u7u8, and u9u10 age groups, the”1 Player Up” rule will be in effect. One player will be required to remain in the attacking half. This will likely bring an opposing player out to keep track of the “1 Player Up.”
- Offsides will be in effect as usual for u9u10, u11u12, and u13u14 age groups. However, offsides will be in effect only in the final attacking quarter of the field as an additional modification to encourage expanded spacing between players.